John Erwin established a homestead here in 1910. In 1923 Luther Taylor purchased the land, including a barn and chicken coop in 1923 and built this cabin. In 1948 it was sold to Andy Chambers, who leased out the cabin.
In 1951 Paramount Pictures asked to use the cabin, and it appeared briefly in the 1953 western classic movie "Shane".
Background photo, Grand Tetons through a window.
Click to return to the Shane cabin photo
THE SHANE CABIN
The National Park service bought it in 1956 and has allowed it to deteriorate despite its historic significance as a homestead and movie icon. The ruins have become known as the "Shane cabin" over the years.